Land Surveyors

Land Surveyors

There is a general three-step process for licensure candidates:

  1. Education
    Have a degree from an accredited four-year surveying program or a Board approved equivalent.
  2. Exams
    Licensure candidates typically must pass the Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam, the Principals and Practice of Surveying (PS) exam, and a state-specific exam.
  3. Experience
    Four years of acceptable, progressive, and verifiable work experience under the supervision of a licensed land surveyor.

Land Surveyor Intern Certificate: After passing the fundamentals of surveying exam, submit an application to receive a land surveyor intern certificate.  

Initial License Application: If you have never been licensed as a professional land surveyor, and Nevada will be your first license as a professional land surveyor, please submit an application for an initial license.  

Comity License Application: If you are already licensed as a professional land surveyor, and are applying for a professional land surveyor license in Nevada, submit an application for a comity license. 

Reinstatement of Professional Engineer License: If you were previously licensed as a professional land surveyor in Nevada, and your license has expired, you may apply for reinstatement of your professional land surveyor license.  

Click here to start your application

It's your responsibility to check the status of your application. To check the status, contact Jasmine Bailey at

Nevada does not issue temporary licenses. You must be licensed to offer or provide land surveying in Nevada.

Upcoming Deadlines for Professional Land Surveyor License Applications

April 11

For review at our May 11 Board Meeting

June 20

For review at our July 20 Board Meeting

August 7

For review at our September 7 Board Meeting

Difficulty reading a survey monument?

If you locate a survey monument or marker that has been in place for a considerable amount of time, it may be difficult to read the name and license number of the land surveyor responsible for that survey.  If you have partial information, you may be able to determine the responsible land surveyor.  Click here for a searchable land surveyor roster--names and license numbers.  

Continuing education for land surveyors

Before renewing your land surveying license every two years, you must complete 30 hours of continuing education. For land surveyors that are also licensed engineers, the 30 hours must include 10 hours related to land surveying and 10 hours related to engineering.   

If your home state has mandatory continuing education, just send us proof of current licensure and that will satisfy the Nevada requirement.

It's the law!

Update your personal contact information within 10 days of moving.  Update your employment information within 30 days of changing your employer. To update your contact information, send us an email,


1755 East Plumb Lane, Suite 135, Reno, NV 89502

(775) 688-1231