1755 E Plumb Lane Suite 258, Reno, NV 89502

Engineers & Land Surveyors

Engineers and Land Surveyors

Is this your first PE or PLS license?


Apply to Nevada for your initial license after you meet the following requirements:

  1. Education Have an EAC/ABET-accredited bachelor’s degree or a Board approved equivalent.
  2. Exams Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and the Principals and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.
  3. Experience Four years of acceptable, progressive, and verifiable work experience under the supervision of a licensed engineer. 

Land Surveyors

Apply to Nevada for your initial license after you meet the following requirements:

  1. Education Have a degree from an accredited four-year surveying program or a Board approved equivalent.
  2. Exams Licensure candidates typically must pass the Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam, the Principals and Practice of Surveying (PS) exam, and a state-specific exam.
  3. Experience Four years of acceptable, progressive, and verifiable work experience under the supervision of a licensed land surveyor.

Already a licensed PE or PLS?

Become a professional engineer or land surveyor in Nevada by applying for a comity license. 

Land surveyor comity license applicants need to pass the state-specific survey exam prior to becoming a licensed land surveyor in Nevada. 

Nevada requires NCEES record for initial and comity license applications

Go to NCEES.org, to begin the process of getting a NCEES record.  If you need assistance with your NCEES record, contact NCEES at (800) 250-3196. After your record is completed, you must request NCEES to transmit the record to us. We cannot do this for you.  

Once you have a NCEES record, you will then have a record that you can maintain throughout your career with no charge for updates. Most states accept NCEES records, and in some states, licensing can be expedited with a NCEES record.  NCEES charges a reduced fee of $75 for transmitting a record to each additional state where you seek a license.

In addition to the NCEES record, please complete the online application below.  

Land Surveyor Intern Certificate: After passing the fundamentals of surveying exam, submit an application to receive a land surveyor intern certificate.  

Initial and Comity License Application: After completing a NCEES record, please submit an application for license.  

Reinstatement of a Professional License: If you were previously licensed as a professional land surveyor in Nevada, and your license has expired, you may apply for reinstatement of your professional land surveyor license.  

Click here to start your application

To check the status of your application, contact Jasmine Bailey at jreis@boe.state.nv.us.

Nevada does not issue temporary licenses. You must be licensed to offer or provide engineering in Nevada.

Upcoming Deadlines for Initial License Applications

February 19, 2020 

For review at the March 4, 2020 Board Meeting

April 29, 2020

For review at the May 14, 2020 Board Meeting

June 18, 2020

For review at the July 9, 2020 Board Meeting

Difficulty reading a survey monument?

If you locate a survey monument or marker that has been in place for a considerable amount of time, it may be difficult to read the name and license number of the land surveyor responsible for that survey.  If you have partial information, you may be able to determine the responsible land surveyor.  Click here for a searchable land surveyor roster–names and license numbers.  

Continuing education for engineers

Before renewing your land surveying license every two years, you must complete 30 hours of continuing education. For land surveyors that are also licensed engineers, the 30 hours must include 10 hours related to land surveying and 10 hours related to engineering. If you are a NCEES record holder, you can maintain your continuing education records, free of charge, via your MyNCEES account.  If you are ever audited, Nevada can access your NCEES continuing education records to confirm compliance.   

If your state, where you reside and are licensed, has mandatory continuing education, when you renew your Nevada license, just send us proof of your current license and that will satisfy the Nevada continuing education reporting requirement.

Reinstatement of License

Update your personal contact information within 10 days of moving.  Update your employment information within 30 days of changing your employer.  To update your contact information, send us an email, Board@boe.state.nv.us.

It's the Law!

If you are applying for reinstatement of your license, you must complete items (1, 2, and 4) listed in the PE Reciprocity checklist and submit the “PE Reinstatement Letter” form. If your license expired after June 1999, 30 Professional Development Hours (PDH) are also required. The PDH submitted for reinstatement must have been obtained within the previous two (2) years. Please use the PDH Activity Report Log to submit your Professional Development Hours.